Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Guatemala Day 6

Today was a really special day.  Each day the humanitarian group takes out a group of about 10-15 people in the clinic and let them go on a short "excursion".  We got the choice to visit a boys and girls orphanage, cancer hospital, and home visits.  Our day was today and we got the chance to do home visits of people in a local ward in Guatemala.  We were going to drop off a Rubbermaid bin of food, blankets, toys, and hygiene products.  We got a good view of what life was like for the average ward members in Guatemala.
We got to zone six and had to walk about two blocks to this house.  I was a little nervous because it wasn't the most safest area in the city, but having one of the Utah State Penitentiary wardens (retired) with us made me feel like I was in good hands.  I had an idea of what these people would be living in, but what I saw of their house just made me feel very ungrateful.  These people were living in a tin 10x10.  The kids were very excited to see us and welcomed us with hugs and brought us into their tiny living room.  We went in wanting to have a song, prayer, and thought and then present them with the things we had brought for them.  We were singing I am a child of God and there was no denying the spirit that was there in the home.  It brought me to tears seeing how strong this families faith was and to see what they were living in just overwhelmed me.  The family, especially the kids, were very excited about the little goodies and toys we had brought for them.
The next family we saw consisted of a single mom, her daughter and boyfriend with a baby boy, and two young girls.  Their house was nicer compared to the first one, but still in a very poor condition and neighborhood.  The mom is the only member and she was baptized three weeks ago.  It's amazing how the spirit just works on some people.  My moms cousin Bubba was with us and he conducted the meeting we had in that house.  It's a long story, but Bubba has had a great connection and influence with the people of Guatemala.  He became emotional and then everyone else started tearing up.  It was really touching and something that we won't forget about.
These people live on almost nothing and they are so happy and content with what they have.  It is a huge wake up call that I most definitely needed right now.  I have so many things in my life that I need to be more grateful for and I don't appreciate them as much as I should.  This was a great experience and I am glad that I was able to be apart of helping these people out.
 Outside of the first house.  It was very small and made out of this tin stuff.  (I don't know what my face is doing, or my scrubs.)
 Bubba and the youngest two in the family.
 The Chavez family.
 Handing out some more of the bracelets that we made

 These kids in Guatemala are so cute!
 At the second house.  This is the daughters little boy.

 I couldn't get enough of him!  He would just nuzzle up and lay there and he wouldn't make a peep.
 The two youngest daughters

 The Bishop of the families ward we visited and the little boy again.
 With the De Leon family
 Handing out the extra bracelets to the kids on the street
My dad has a thing for these buses.  If you start to see them pop up in Cache Valley, you know who started them.

No comments:

Post a Comment