Saturday, November 10, 2012

Exercise Science Major-ist



I did it guys!  I finally declared a major.  Last Tuesday I went into the Life Sciences office to meet with the head lady of the Exercise Science department to declare my major.  This was a huge deal.  Ask my parents and they will tell you that I have lost sleep, shed tears, and just basically stewed over what I am suppose to do with my life.  I am still not 100% sure that Exercise Science is what I am meant to do, but I am feeling really good about it.  Heck, I have a hard time even spelling exercise... it's a hard word. 

I met with Dr. Anderson and basically said I want to major in this field because I am hoping to work in the health area someday.  She went on to ask me what I was thinking of doing professionally after graduating.  This is when I started to panic a little.  Honestly I can't pin point what I want to do.  It changes everyday!  But I told her that I thought about physician assisting school, dental hygiene, and somedays I think about dental school (it's a scary thought sometimes).  Dr. Anderson told me that they plan for the highest option.  She then proceeds to plan out my life for the next year and a half to get me to dental school.  This consisted of classes such as physics, biochemistry, and o-chem (gag/barf).  At this point I am starting to panic big time.  O-chem is a scary thing and I don't even know if I want to go to dental school yet!!  Long story short, I just nodded my head, signed some form, and eventually my major was declared.  

After this life altering meeting, I was worried I had signed my life away to something I wasn't even sure I wanted to do.  I do have a weird love for teeth and I got excited when we studied the structure of teeth in anatomy lab, but I am still unsure that dentistry is something I want to do.  After some conversations with my parents, they reassured me that I don't have to do what Dr. Anderson planned out for me.  I am just very glad I got past the "major declaration" milestone in my life.  It may end up changing if I feel that I am meant to go down a different path, but I can't be more excited to feel that I belong to a specific college now!

No comments:

Post a Comment