On Monday we had our field trip to Bethlehem. I have been looking forward to this field
trip for the past few weeks so I was really excited when Monday rolled
around! Our first stop was at the
Herodian. This is where Herod was
buried. A lot of dirt and excavations
were here. I didn’t take to many
pictures here so sorry about that.
We
then moved onto Bethlehem for the rest of the afternoon. The majority of our day was spent at the
Church of the Nativity. Fun Fact—This church
was almost destroyed when the Persians were on a destroying rampage but they
didn’t destroy it because of the symbol of the Wise Men above the door because
the Wise Men were Persian. So this
church is the oldest continuously operating church in the world! The interior was really dark and kind of a
gaudy looking with a lot of decorations hanging down everywhere, but the meaning
was still very special. My favorite part was probably the chapel next door
which I forgot the name of. It has
probably been one of my favorite chapels I have seen yet. It was very well lit and had white walls with
gold looking trim and a lot of stain glass windows. I wish I could go back just for that!!
We then went to Manger Square to shop around for a
while. I bought three Christmas
decorations (why three? Because I am too indecisive). After Manger Square we went to lunch and had
delicious wheat pitas with some yummy hummus.
I have been converted to hummus since I have been here and I know I will
be disappointed with the quality of hummus when I come back home.
After lunch we spent the rest of the afternoon at various Shepherds
fields. We ended with spending some time
at the Mormon Shepherds field and had a short devotional and some personal time
to reflect on the birth of our Savior.
Sorry for the picture overload once again! I just have so many shots I want to share!
 |
| Church of the Nativity |
 |
| Nativity Grotto |
 |
| My favorite chapel! |
 |
| My roommate Kimi |
 |
| One of the Churches at a Shepherds Field |
 |
| Mormon Shepherds Field |
No comments:
Post a Comment