Monday, July 08, 2013

Petra-- Jordan Day 2

Petra was probably my favorite part of the whole Jordan trip.  I haven't been to Moab, but people said it was like Moab but 10x's better.  We did a lot of hikes throughout the park, rode a camel, and sweated buckets of sweat.  I am not kidding when I say Jordan was at least in the high 90's each day.  And we were outside most of the time which did not make it any better.  
The first stop at Petra was at the entrance at the Treasury.  Our tour guide had us put our heads down and lead hand-in-hand into the Treasury area.  He was trying to keep it a surprise for as long as possible but I saw it from my peripheral vision so I gave up on the element of surprise and just looked.  The pictures that I have don't do it justice.  The lighting was beautiful on the red rock and the building was so breathtaking.  It was beautiful!  Probably my favorite part of the day.  



The Treasury-- What we saw when we first walked in



Like I said, I rode a camel.  It was one of the highlights of my whole Jerusalem experience.   I was a little nervous at first (as you can tell from my facial expression below) because camels are so foreign to me, but it was great!!  Definitely worth the $4.00 I spent on it.  And I successfully didn't get spit on either so I would say that the camel experience was all around a good one.  



After hanging around by the treasury, we hiked up to the High Place.  Let me tell you, they weren't kidding when they decided to name it the high place.  This hike was sort of hard and really high up, but the view from the top was worth it.  





The next hike was to the Monastery.  This hike was equally as hard as the high place one.  There are shop owners along the way to the top and they kept saying that it was just around the corner, about 5 minutes.  Five minutes pass and I get to this flat plateau area and I saw nothing.  I was sort of mad that I hiked that whole way to see a flat area of sand.  But then I looked to my right and I saw this building tucked away into the rock.  SO COOL!!!  These places were amazing!  
Petra was a success!  We spent a good seven hours there and we still didn't see all of the sites.






No comments:

Post a Comment