Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pre-Guatemala



So for those who don't know by now, I am going to Guatemala at the end of April with my parents.  I am so excited for this opportunity to serve.  We will be there for ten days helping the pre-missionaries get a lot of their paper and dental work all in order so they can go serve a mission.  The group we are going with is called Smiles for Central America.  My mom has had a few of her cousins go on some trips with this same group and they have all come back saying that it has been a life changing experience.  
Lately I have been working on brushing up my Spanish speaking skills.  So far my two years of knowledge from 8th and 9th grade consist of hola, adios, me llamo Brianna, and como te llamas?  From what I understand, I will be assisting the dentists in doing some dental work.  I hope they know that I have had zero training in this area what so ever!  Side-note: I did take a dental assisting class from Bridgerland in high school but the only real thing I picked up from that class was how to suck someones cheek up with the suctioner.  Needless to say, I have not mastered the suctioner yet.  But this is something that I have wanted to do for a while and I will be more than happy to do whatever they assign me to.  From what we have heard, we will be seeing between 900-1000 patients in the matter of five days!  I can't believe that I will be leaving in about a month.  I am so grateful that I am able to go with both my parents.  My dad and me were originally going to go just us two, but they had a spot open up so we signed my mom up.  I am so excited for this opportunity to be able to help these pre-missionaries go and serve our Lord.  I know that I will have such an amazing time and I can't wait to share my experiences with everyone!!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! I am seriously jealous! After hearing Kirk & Bubba's stories I have wanted to go do this it sounds amazing! Just two more sentences you can add to your vocabulary:

    Donde esta de bano (where's the bathroom)
    and
    Deme un burrito (give me a burrito)

    I really can't think of any other spanish you could possibly need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily those sentences are going to help me a lot I think. Thanks for the addition!!

      Delete
  2. So fun! I'm jealous! I think the dentists usually know that a lot of people don't necessarily have dental experience. I had a friend do that without any experience and she ended up with an assisting job afterwords. I'm excited to hear about it! I wish I knew you guys were going when you signed up. I get emails about those trips all the time. You guys will have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know that they realize a lot of the people go without experience. I was a little worried when my Dad said they are having me assist. Hopefully I catch on really quickly!!

      Delete