Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Turkey #3

This is the last post about Turkey!  I had a great time and I could go on with many more pictures, but I need to catch up on my latest adventures since being back in Jerusalem.  So after our Ephesus day we headed to Sardis.  Here they had beautiful ruins of the Gymnasium and Temple of Artemis.  

Gymnasium

Some columns from the Temple of Artemis

Our service couple, Sister Bench, and some of us girls!

Coryne and I wore the exact same outfit and we didn't even plan it!

After Sardis we made our way to Bursa!  Here we were able to go inside the Grand Mosque.  Whenever we go into Mosques we have to cover our heads so everyone had to bring their own scarf of some sorts.  After spending a few minutes inside the mosque we were able to have some free time in another Bazaar next door.  The rest of the night was spent walking around the streets of Bursa and going to bed early because I was exhausted! 

Our head scarves and the Grand Mosque


Our last day was spent making our way back to Istanbul.  We stopped at Iznik and looked at the ancient Hagia Sophia (not the same one as in Istanbul) and had a small devotional by the lake.  All I wanted to do was put a boat on that lake the water was so perfect!


We then took another ferry ride and arrived in Istanbul shortly.  Our first and last stop was at the Hagia Sophia.  It used to be a mosque but it is now turned into a museum.  There are beautiful mosaics and decor everywhere.  The pictures do not do it justice.  After spending a couple hours in Hagia Sophia we were set free for last minute shopping and exploring.  I was able to get the last of my souvenirs and just enjoy walking the streets of Istanbul.  
That night was when we were having the dreaded fish.  I hate seafood with all of my being.  But I toughened up and tried a little of this nasty fish and it wasn't too bad at all.  I was still freaked out about how it still looked like a fish, but it tasted like chicken so I had a little bit.  We then got on the bus and headed to the airport for a nice red eye flight (hint of sarcasm) and arrived back at the JC at 5:00 am.  I really wish I could have had another week of exploring in Turkey but I am glad to be back at my temporary home!





Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Blue Mosque + I

No comments:

Post a Comment