Thursday, May 02, 2013

I'm Here!

I have finally made it to Jerusalem!  After really long flights and delays we finally flew in last night around 5:30.  As far as jet lag goes, I haven't really felt the effects until right now.  I am really tired and it is all I can do not to go take a nap during our break!  But we arrived at the center and they ushered us into the Auditorium where we were introduced to the staff.  They had one of the Sister missionary couples play the organ and they opened the big curtains to a beautiful view of the city.  It still has not really hit me yet that I will be spending my summer here!
We got a tour of the building and had a brief moment to load our suitcases into our rooms.  After that we went up to eat dinner and take a picture for our security card and then I headed down to unpack my suitcase.
I slept pretty well until around 4:00 when the call to prayer went off.  Maybe I was just really tired, but the call to prayer seemed to last forever.  We woke up at 6:30, had a quick breakfast and an orientation and we then went out to walk around the city!
We started by leaving the lower gate and walking up to the shops around the old city borders.  We passed the Garden Tomb and I didn't realize that it was located in the center of this really busy street.  Hopefully I will get to visit there in the next few days.  We then wandered through Damascus Gate, and Mom it wasn't as busy as you told me.  Our professor said that it wasn't as crowded as it usually will be.  The old city was hectic and hot.  I am really grateful for that 2 liter water bottle they give us!  It was really crowded due to an Orthodox holiday here.  It is really interesting how many different cultures that are here.  We were able to go to the roof of the Austrian Hospice and get a really great view of the whole city.  We also visited the Holy Sepulcher for a brief moment.  
After the old city we passed through Jaffa Gate into West Jerusalem.  You can definitely tell the difference between old and new city.  The new city is really developed and not as much trash around.  But we were able to wander for a few moments and I followed a group to go get a falafel.  My stomach wasn't up to trying something new so I didn't get one, but I had a bite of another girls and it was pretty good.  They gave us a sample of a little falafel ball and it was good but a little weird.  A lot of places have "special BYU" discounts and always call out "Mormons."  
I am sorry there are no pictures for this post, we weren't allowed to take our cameras with us for the orientation walk today.  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment