Monday, April 16, 2012

My Definition of Home

Warning: This post may be a bit sappy.  

Yesterday was my last Sunday here in P-town.  We had a little thank-a-mony meeting during sacrament and then had some closing words from the Bishopric during a combined meeting.  A lot of people got up and said things like I love you all, you've all had a drastic impact in my life, etc.  One girl got up and said that she hates to see things end and have to leave because this has become her home.  It got me thinking about my definition of home.  

Coming to Provo I was very adamant about never calling Helaman Halls my home.  In the words of the beautiful Carrie Underwood, this would just be my temporary home.  I always thought that my dorm didn't deserve the privileges of being called my home.  You could say I was a bit of a Debbie downer.  But I got to thinking yesterday that I really am going to miss this place... and it has become my home away from home.  My dorm room has a special place in my heart.  What is better than being able to reach the fridge, laptop, and light all without leaving your bed?  So many memories have occurred in the halls of David John 3200 floor.  It truly has been my home for the past nine months as much as I've hated to admit it.  What makes it a home for me is the people I've met.  I have grown so close to so many amazing people and I hate to have to say goodbye.  These girls on my floor have gotten to know me so well.  They know how to make me laugh hysterically and lift my spirits in a not so cheerful moment.  The people I have gotten to know in my time being here have truly changed me for the better.

This week will really be a bitter-sweet one.  I have to say goodbye to my freshman year of college.  It has been such an amazing year filled with so many memories that I will never forget.  I have to say goodbye to friends I won't see for a while.  It will be weird going from seeing these girls 24/7 to hardly at all.  But I am looking forward to going home and being with my family.  I have missed them a lot and can't wait to go on family vacations this summer.  What I am most excited about is being able to sit on the couch eating bonbons and doing absolutely nothing and being completely okay with it.  


My definition of home would be anywhere where I feel comfortable in my own skin.  These girls have loved me for who I am and I can't thank them enough for that.  





No comments:

Post a Comment