Sunday, April 29, 2012

Guatemala Day 4

We woke up early on Sunday morning and headed of to a ward about an hour and fifteen minutes outside of Guatemala City.  One big reason we decided to come with this humanitarian group is because they involve a spiritual aspect as well as a physical one.  Physical in that we actually help the youth with a lot of dental work they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford, and spiritual in that we are giving these young people that extra push to go on a mission as well as serving the people in various wards.  So on Sunday we headed to church in the middle of this small town.  When I say middle, I mean the very middle.  The church sat on the center of this very crowded block.  It was surrounded by a lot of food and souvenir shops.  Once we got inside the building they gave us our earpieces so we could understand what was being said and we took our seats.  A member of the area presidency came around and was asking for a piano player and I was just going to let him pass me by, because out of all the people in our group, there had to be someone that could play better than me.  But the area authority picked me.  Thanks Dad.  My dad pointed at me and before I knew it I was up on the stand.  People, I have never, let me repeat, NEVER been so nervous in my life.  Out of all my college tests, tennis tryouts, and so forth, this made me very nervous.  My hands were shaking and to make things worse, I left my interpretation machine with my parents at the back of the room, so I didn't even know what song I was being asked to play.   It all went fine.  I slaughtered some of the songs, but I gave it my best shot and I am glad that I got the opportunity to play for the people there.  
 After the meeting was over, we got the chance to give away blankets, soccer balls, hygiene kits, family pictures, and toys to the ward members.  A lot of these people live off of a day-to-day basis and they were very grateful for the things we were giving them.  For those on the Robison side of my family, do you remember making all of those bracelets at the family reunion?  Well we gave them to a lot of the children in this ward.  They were very excited about it and it was great giving them a little something from our Robison family.  So a big thanks goes out to those who helped make them last summer. 
After passing everything out and giving everyone their family pictures, we got back onto the buses and headed back into Guatemala City to attend a fireside being held by the area authorities of the church.  There were about 700 missionaries there and you could most definitely feel the spirit in the cultural hall.  It was funny because you could tell who had been to the clinic and who hadn't by looking at their cheeks.  Remember Wilson?  We saw him at the fireside and he was doing great.  Sad thing is, he never came back to the clinic to finish the work that needed to be done.  
 The fireside ended and it was back onto the buses.  We headed back to our hotel and had a huge banquet with everyone in the group.  It was really good food and company.  This brigade has been so great and I am glad that we have had this opportunity to be able to serve this people and strengthen our own testimony as well.  

 Getting on the bus to head to church!
 Our line of buses headed to church.  They have had some bad incidences in Guatemala with buses and gangs, so we got escorted to church by the local law enforcement.  Now that is not something that happens everyday.
 The city where church was held.

 Playing one of the hymns.  Nervous as ever!
 Before we started handing out the bracelets.






 Now that is what I call good packing.  That takes some serious talent.
 The fireside.
WILSON!!! (Castaway anyone?)  He is on the right.  Really sweet guy and I hope the best for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment